Saturday, February 7, 2009

Saving Money Around the House

Now that I've cut our grocery bill buy shopping sales and using coupons, as well as devloping a budget, my new goal is find other ways to continue saving money. I have been trying to come up with ways to save money around the house. I wouldn't call my house huge, but it's big enough, and when my electric bill goes up over $300 during January and February each month, I have moments of panic. What can I do to lower this bill? There are some things that I can't changes. My house is warmer in the downstairs, but the upstairs can get a little chilly, especially at night. But, I have a 2-year old and a 1-year old, so it needs to be warm in the upstairs. They wear warm pjs, but I can't have the being cold just to save a few dollars.....okay so maybe it would be more than a few, but you get my point. So, here's what I've come up with so far:

1. I've replaced 75% of my light bulbs with energy efficient ones....even though they cost a fortune. I will replace the rest, it's just actually getting to it that's the problem. Also, those stupid bulbs are so expensive.
2. I am trying to turn off the light when I leave the room.
3. Turn the heat down during the day.
4. Unplug appliances like toasters, coffee pots, can openers, etc. when not in use.
5. We don't need the tv on all day long.
6. Shorter showers (also saves water)
7. I have a king capacity clothes dryer (I'm not sure if we even realized the size when we got it) so when I wash clothes, I wash 2 loads but run them both through the dryer at the same time. Especially with my kids clothes.
8. Fold clothes as soon as the dryer is finished, so you don't have to waste electricity by de-wrinkling them.

I'll post more tips when I think of them, but in the mean time, I challenge you to come up with more money/energy saving tips. I would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Why don't you leave me a message?