Friday, February 6, 2009

low fat dinners

Today's post is about low fat dinners. Although I am not actively trying to lose weight, I am purposely not adding extra fat to our meals. We eat very little red meat, which is for my husband's health. I usually limit our red meat consumption to once a week, which is fine by me. I am not a huge meat eater, and will choose chicken over beef 9 times out of 10.

This dish is a favorite of mine. It makes a large pot, and I easily get 3 meals out of it. Keep in mind that their are only 2 of us eating right now, but it's a lot of soup.

Chicken Corn Chowder
3 or 4 chix breasts (bone in or out, whatever is cheaper)
chicken broth (32 ounces; 99 percent fat free)
onion - chopped
celery- chopped
Corn (frozen, fresh or canned) Usually 2 cans or one bag of frozen
2 Potatoes - pealed and chopped into small pieces
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
salt
pepper
basil
oregano
parsley


Boil chicken in water. Once cooked, remove chicken from water and set aside to cool. Strain broth, wash pot, and put strained liquid back into pot. After chicken cools, remove from bone if needed, and shred. Put back into water in your pot and add onion and celery. Boil until tender. Add potatoes, bring back to a boil until tender (about 20 minutes or less, depending on how large your potato pieces are). Add corn and return to boil. Season to taste with salt, pepper, basil, oregano and parsley. Add chopped eggs, and serve.

I usually serve this soup with crackers or dinner rolls. My husband has even been known to put rice in it. (He's Korean and it actually tastes pretty good, although it doesn't exactly make it low fat.) It's another family favorite.

I am always looking for new recipes to try, so feel free to post them in the comments section, or blog about them and send me a comment so I know to look.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Why don't you leave me a message?