Monday, March 9, 2009

Walmart: Friend or Foe?

I made a comment in Sunday's post, a combined Save Me Saturday and Saling Sunday about how I went to Walmart purely out of convenience. Then, I was talking to my mom and she was telling that she had to buy ground beef at her local grocery store, and she hated to do it, because she can get such a better price at Wal-Mart. My first response was, "Well I never shop at Wal-Mart anymore." Why is that?



Do I live 2 hours from Wal-mart? No, in fact, Wal-Mart is 7 minutes from my house.

Is it difficult to find good deals? No, there are some really good buys.

Are the cashiers unfriendly? Not to the point where it would make me never go back.

Have I been banned from the store? Nah, I was too good a customer.



Until recently, that is. It's pain and simple: I don't shop at Wal-Mart because I can't. I can't trust myself to only shop from my list. There is too much see! And buy! It's like an amusement park for adults!

My love affair with Walmart began simply enough. When I first had my son, almost 3 years ago, it was the first time I had been unemployed since I was 16. (except for a brief few months after I got married and moved to NC and was looking for a teaching job. March - July) I didn't get out much, and I like people. So I started going to Walmart almost everyday. I'd pick up a few things here and there, maybe a cute outfit or a baby toy. But then I started buy more stuff -- new towels, a pair of shoes, a movie. Then I discoved Walmart.com. Before I knew it, Walmart was my addiction. I added up my Walmart spending for November 2008 a few weeks ago. I stopped at $1300. How insane is that???? $1300? No, this is not a type, and boy do I wish it were.

So, sadly, I cannot just at Walmart except for very quick, very detailed trips. Maybe one day I will be reunited with my lost love, but until then, I have my memories and I have my checkbook registry.

What is your relationship with Walmart like? Love it, hate it? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Why don't you leave me a message?